Thursday, October 4, 2007

Lessons in the Corporate world

'Tis amazing how, even though I am soo busy, I still manage to give my two-pennies worth of thoughts in this little space. I keep learning new things everyday at work; some of which I like to share with junta.

The first one goes like this- Don't call people Sir/Ma'am. You are not in college anymore and these people are not your professors. At the same time, do not use first names, if the age difference if stark. Also, refrain from using short forms or abbreviations like DD, NS etc. Finally, after I ran out of options, I came to the conclusion that the best way to address someone is by their surname- for example, Mr. Vishwanath or a Mrs. Sinha.

Keep a polite distance with people, get friendly but not personal- and for the first time I'm gonna say this out aloud, "You don't make friends at office. You only network and make business relations". Stay polite and affable with people, that's all that's required.

And this one's for all the females out there- "Beware of a female boss." Somehow I realise that as women rise higher in the corporate ladder, either they get insecure or it goes to their head. And I don't know what's the reason, but they don't take well to young females who join their teams/depts. Esp. if you're smart, talented and have an IIM degree (that's me, btw :D), they somehow act weird and unfriendly. And actually, the senior men in the organisation will be more helpful and kind to you. (Ya sure, your looks might have something to do with it :D)

So well, that was all I had for the moment. More on this later :)

Ciao.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oye, my office is actually pretty different. I have made really good friends here! Seriously! We even like to party together (and that's saying a lot when you talk about colleagues).

And I have an almost women-only team headed by a woman. And you have no idea how much fun we have! We are a bunch of people who actually look forward to going to work - coz that's where we get our daily dosage of laughter and fun.

If all that you said in your post is true, consider a change! Really! :D

RA said...

Well, no... It's not that bad actually and I have also made a lot of good friends here :) Just that some female got to me yesterday and I was kinda re-thinking my outlook towards work and maintaining a professional image etc.

But overall, people in office are really nice and we have good masti and banter going on here :D

We also have a good mix of both genders here, which is actually cool, coz we hang out together often, go out for lunches etc :) So it's not really that bad :)