Monday, November 5, 2007

An Ode to my Feminism

Well allrite, this is not really an ode...but I liked the sound of that :D

Hmmm..so the topic of my concern is my feminism- I'm worried that it's becoming more than just an issue that I am concerned about. It is becoming more like a way of life for me. I get worked up about things which other people feel are non issues. I have often been tagged the head of all mahila-mukti morcha groups. Most of the books at my bed side would deal with women, children, harassment, violence etc. The last 3 books that I have read are-
In the Name of Honour- Mukhtar Mai
Lajja- Taslima Nasrin
Bitter Chocolate- Pinki Virani
I get concerned about where society is headed and the way men think. I often get into discussions (read arguments) about rape, punishment, marriage, sexual harassment etc. I sometimes get paranoid about things like- "What if my husband turns out to be a wife beater!"

And what is sad is that I must confess, I have not really taken any proactive steps to contribute to the cause in any positive manner. Yes, the thought has been there for quite some time now, but so what? Thoughts that are not converted into actions, just remain what they are- random thoughts.

But basically my initial concern still remains- have I crossed that thin line between being sensitive and being an extremist?

2 comments:

Sheeba D'Mello said...

hey, meant to reply to this a long time back, but never got around to it. You know what my work is like.. :(

I guess feminism is the same as any other struggle for equality. You become an extremist when you stop seeing the other's point of view.

Guys have their problems too. And a few of them are not imagined :)
So long as you can acknowledge that, and give the other side a fair hearing, I think you are not an extremist.

RA said...

Well thanks a lot :)