Monday, September 3, 2007

Today Life gave me a hard kick on the backside and saw to it that I give up this grumbling and bloody well start acting like a grown up. Happened to catch up with an old friend today. Out of the blue I found out that he had had a horrible accident for which he was in bed for 4 1/2 months and today he is on crutches with one leg badly hurt :(

Life is very unfair. But I suddenly realised that it hasn't really been that unfair to me. I have been able to pursue my MBA, live life king size, come to Mumbai and fulfill my dreams, keep pressures of marriage at bay...more or less done a pretty decent job of my life so far. Yet I crib so much about how My life is screwed up!

Everyday I hear of people dying, of horrible diseases like cancer, of abortions and miscarriages, of poverty and bankruptcies, of families breaking apart...and yet I have never turned to God and said thank you for keeping me and my family safe. Every morning I go to the church and tell Jesus about my problems and ask him to sort them out for me, but it's very rare that I say, "Father, everything is all right and I wanna thank you for it."

We just take things for granted so easily- "like being able to lift your own bloody foot." I am in an introspective mood and I am ashamed of myself: of how greedy I have become, how my need and craving for happiness has blinded me to the pain and suffering around me. How, in the last 3 months I have not been able to take out time for any kind of social service, even though I work only 5 days a week and am home by 7pm. How we as humans have stopped being thankful for the small joys that Life brings our way, every now and then.

No comments: