Monday, July 2, 2007

About the middle class and such things...

Coming to Mumbai has given me a fairly good idea of how the middle class in the country live. I have never considered myself to be "middle class". Don't ask me for explanations...but thats just how i am.

In Calicut, there was not much scope to spend large sums of money. Umm...but Mumbai was supposed to be different. It was supposed to be this really happening place, with nice restaurants and hotels and the kind of place which held promises. And I had no qualms about earning well and spending well, once I came here ;)

But, for whatever reasons, I have been trying to live life like the common man...have taken the train instead of a cab, walk instead of getting a rick..things like that. And let me tell you, its NOT nice. I seem to find that I cannot tolerate the filth and stench on the streets...cannot tolerate the muddy roads...cannot tolerate the cars drenching you with that horrible rain water...cannot tolerate sweaty people pushing and shoving in a crowd or even brushing past you on the roads.

And well, then I made the biggest faux pas of my life. I said something like, "I just feel so bloody middle class!". Sigh...well I'm sorry..I know I sound all snobbish and high-maintenance. But all I can say in my defence is that I'm not really like that. Anyone who knows me even remotely well would agree to that (I think... :D) But yes, I agree, I enjoy the finer things in life, and now that I am earning an decent amount, I don't really need to do this...

But, back to the main point of writing this post:
I must say I have seen how the middle class of the country lives and truly respect the value of money now. And, the next time I am about to splurge on something...umm..well, at least I'll think twice...thats all I can guarantee :D

No comments: